Oracle invited me and a few other analysts to Bermuda to witness a few of the races in the 35th America’s Cup. It is a vendor of many technologies to the US team and I was interested in all the analytics it supported before, during and after each race.
What was eye opening was the multitude of other STEM disciplines that I was exposed to at the event including:
- aerodynamics of fixed wing sails
- fluid control concepts to move power generated by the grinders/cyclists
- material science in the foils, sails, hulls, crew gear
- health science to monitor extreme crew performance
- meteorology to keep up with wind patterns
- broadcast technology from helicopters, drone, and the vessels
- telemetry from vessels
- data science around so much to analyze before, during and after each race.
Rocket scientists from Airbus, Parker Hannifin, Medtronic, GoreTex and, of course, Oracle are just some of the brands which have contributed science and technology to the sport. I will be profiling many of their innovations over the next few days.