We see it all the time in the auto market – cars so different looking they stand out. As the Washington Post wrote about the Scion xD “Ugly has never been so attractive”.
In a crowded technology marketplace, sometimes it similarly helps to have an exotic design or color and stand out from the crowd. And we are seeing quite a bit in consumer tech:
- In the Engadget review of the Motorola Atrix 4G, the reviewer honestly says “It's hard to fully describe how it works, but it's an unusual combo.”It is a smartphone which comes with a dock which turns it into laptop with a much larger screen and keyboard.
- If that is hard to describe, try MusicLites which is a wireless bulb and speaker in one. It is the collective result of “OSRAM SYLVANIA’s expertise in LED solutions and ARTISON’s creative dedication to state-ofthe- art audio.” Oh and by the way, it also comes with a remote control.
- Or the Eye-Fi which brings that combination concept to cameras. It combines SD card and Wi-Fi so users can upload photos and videos wirelessly from camera to computer without having to physically move the tiny storage card around.
- I have written before about the vertical platen of the Lexmark Genesis printer. It towers over most devices on the table or on the floor.
- One of the coolest things users saw with the iPad2 was an accessory - its SmartCover which comes in several different colors. “Built-in magnets draw the Smart Cover to iPad for a perfect fit that not only protects, but also wakes up, stands up, and brightens up your iPad.
So, how about some similar creativity in enterprise tech? Enterprise apps with voice and haptic interfaces? Storage which synchs with scanners and printers? SAP with psychedelic color screens? :)