Stephanie Overby recently wrote an article for CIOs to evaluate if they have outsourced too much IT work. I think analysts and bloggers should ask a similar question: are we too dependent on vendors for our content?
Here are 7 signs we may have outsourced too much:
1) The T-shirt collection in your closet, your jar of pens and your collection of USB drives are a gallery of vendor logos
2) Your tweets mostly originate at vendor events
3) Your calendar is peppered with quarterly vendor earnings calls
4) Your most anticipated report or post is a Magic Quadrant, Wave or some other vendor ranking write-up
5) Your phone number is on the speed dial list of several vendor PR firms (to younger readers who don’t know what speed dial is, you probably also missed out on the Y2K analysis bonanza!)
6) Vendor executives have turned analysts – they are coming up with market definitions (hint: Cloud), TLAs, market sizing estimates. They even send out emails offering their analysis of vendor events.
7) Even your kids don’t want to join you on your 10th trip to Orlando this year for yet another vendor event